It is fascinating that all the responses to Giving Tree have come
with the insight (and to some extent baggage) that we carry into
adulthood.  This is a child's book - a young child's book.  A
child needs to know, in those growing years, that there is
someone (preferably a parent) who will offer unconditional love.
We can get as sophisticated and analytical as we want to later
one, but during early years, unconditional love is what matters.
So take a look at the book through a youngster's eyes and
be willing to say that is serves a worthwhile purpose for a
while.  And my hunch is that those who continue to love the
book do so because they need some reaffirmation that such love
exists.  As far as codependency is concerned, that is an abused
and overused term that has shamed many who are just living their
lives the best way they know how.  It should be expunged from
our vocabularies!
Kari Inglis   kbw_inglis@mec.ohio.gov

LM_NET Archive Home