Since it is the 4th of July I have to share what has worked for me--NO-I
haven't stopped the world from being "afraid" of their children being
corrupted BUT I constantly remind people that 1) most of these cases that
make the new are on pay-services 2)why aren't people monitoring their
"children" anyway(in other words if they are THAT young, they should be
monitored and 3) If they are old enough to "surf alone"-- by now I hope
you dhave warned them about dangerous strangers---cyber and otherwise.I
also remind them that I put my "pup" on-line at 13, but by then kids know
not to give their phone number and address out to people on the phone(You
know--never tell anyone Mommy isn't home etc.) One-on-one I have reminded
my colleagues, and parents' of students that this is just another step in
warning kids about " the big bad wolf"-. We as teachers know that the
minute our back is turned, a "darling" will type in sex--even on my old
LOGO RAdio Shack computers. I think we have to remind them that much of
the things over then net are REQUESTED by ADULTS. Soapbox Alert--parents
need to talk to there kids,especially about what they are finding on the
net. The parents in my school are "shocked" when I suggest they ASK THEIR
KID why he didn't get a library book(assembly,etc.)END of SOAPBOX--but
Happy 4th to the Freedom-loving librarians!

LM_NET Archive Home