It seems fairly obvious that Disney was not trying to make a documentary
when they made this movie.  I doubt they thought it would be an appropriate
teaching aid in the schools.  And as for the racism in the movie, I
understand from friends that have seen the movie that the Virginia Company
is seen as the "bad guys" in the movie, that they get boos from the
audience, and that the message is that they are the real "savages" in the
situation. Have you ever heard of irony? The fact that people don't
understand this is somewhat puzzling to me.

Certainly we will have to answer children's questions and teach them
ourselves, but isn't that our role as parents and/or educators?  I'm sorry,
but portraying Disney as this racist, malicious movie maker that has no
regard for children is extremely far-fetched. I am not an expert on Native
American history, but it seems relatively simple: If you want a teaching
aid, try "500 Nations" narrated by Kevin Costner, or another of his works,
though more hollywood, "Dances With Wolves."

Rather than promoting strife and ill-will, why not try to get Disney to
pour some of the BILLIONS they will make on merchandising into educating
children about the real plight of the indians. That way at least some good
may come from the tens of millions of people that will see the movie
multiple times anyway.

LM_NET Archive Home