I saw the movie last week.  I listened to the tape for weeks
before the movie came out-- with my 2.5 year old.  We read the
Disney version before we saw the movie.  I told her what I know
of the "real" story, as a resident of Virginia who honeymooned
in Williamsburg and Jamestown.  And (thick skin now donned) I
liked it.  It was not as good as Lion King, INMO, but I liked
it.  I told and tell my daughter why I liked or disliked
parts.  She liked watching Pocahontas swim and the animals run
around.  And she liked the way her bottom stuck to the floor
when she was not as interested in the movie.  Now a week later,
she tells me Pocahontas was very brave and people should not
fight.  She says "I will tell them that when I am older."
As a teacher, I'd approach the movie the same with my students
(minus the sticky part.)  I'd model how I made my decision and
let them make their own. I
agree with Floyd, who was made nervous by calls for boycotting
something without having all the facts.

BTW, the model for Pocahontas, according to our local paper,
was a woman from around here who is related to P.  She goes to
schools educating students about her ancestor.  And, yes, she
is a Native American.  I even saw a clip from the Disney
special advertising the movie that included her.
--
Jackie Keith, Librarian                         jkeith@pen.k12.va.us
Battlefield Middle School    11120 Leavells Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22407

LM_NET Archive Home