 As a former English teacher, I can tell you that Disney has been taking
liberties with literature and folklore ever since the beginning-Snow
White? Uncle Remus?

Nor is the studio the first to pay scant attention to historical fact or
perhaps I should say the prevailing academic interpretation of history
since who knows what is or is not a historical fact anymore.

Anyhow I don't have enough influence to stop students from seeing the
flicks and probably not enough to prevent teachers from showing the
video.  What I can do is to use their interest to present the real thing
as a contrast.  I have been sharing Aladdin for years.  I have to admit
they liked the Andrew Lang version better before Disney, but they still
like it.  Actually someone mentioned doing a Pocahantas lesson before the
movie came out. Wonderful idea.

We all know why teachers use certain videos with their kids--It's to give
themselves a break--often so they can meet some deadline in their lives.
Most of the staff at my school are quite sparing about this.  They only
do it when they are desperate.  I agree that we ought perhaps to educate
them about Pocahantas, once we have educated ourselves.  I really can't
understand why they made this movie.  It seems to me they should have
known it would ignite a storm of protest.  I'm surprised there hasn't
been more.

Paula Neale
mohmie@coop.crn.org

LM_NET Archive Home