While I agree that there are some objectionable things in the movie -
especially portraying Pocohantas as a "babe" in a buckskin cocktail
dress, one should get the facts straight.  According to historical
accounts, John Smith and Pocohantas did not have a relationship at ALL.
She was NOT raped by him and left pregnant.  She was kidnappped later
after he had returned to England and held hostage.  She did marry an
Englishman, John Rolfe and had a son Thomas.

She journeyed to England with her husband as a curiosity (after
converting to Christianity) and met the Queen.  She became ill and died
while there.  Her son later returned to Virginia as an adult and
inherited land from both his father and his Grandfather, Chief Powhatan.
His descendants are among the founding families of Virginia.

I object when song lyrics are taken out of context and attempts made to
inflame one's sensibilities.  I don't think it's a particularly good
movie, but I don't think Disney's intent was to promote rape, racism,
etc.  My children certainly didn't get that message.  Quite the opposite,
at 5 and 10 they have enough sophistication to pick up on the strong
environmental and anti-racism themes.  Let's give our kids a little
credit!

JMHO!

Marsha Haaser

                        Marsha K. Haaser, Librarian