I agree with you that this is awfully distorted.  So was the Lion King
with nearly every character sounding like some ethnic or racial group.  I
liked the story but was appalled by the stereotyping.  My daugher, age
14, didn't recognize the stereotypes so maybe other (wasp) kids didn't
either but I bet kids in the groups being aped heard the put-downs.
This is the same sort of thing we as librarians deal with all the time
-real versus fiction or original (Jungle Book) vs. new version.  I will
probably see the movie for myself to be prepared for the 7th graders
Beverley Owen, librarian
Pearland Jr High East
P.O. Box 7
Pearland, TX 77588   Phone 713-485-2481   email  owenb@tenet.edu