TO:  G_RATHJENS, middle school librarian
FROM:  G_3BELL,
I subbed alot in middle school special ed. and in libraries.  First, go by the
school discipline rules, such as putting checks by names and informing teachers
of good and poor behavior. If this is a group situation, put ADD or behavior
problems in a strategic place in the T-zone (front row and middle) and next to
quiet students.  One very effective thing is to hand out tickets for good
things and have a drawing for little prizes.  Middle school students need
structure.  When giving directions, hopefully put them in writing and say them
out loud.  If you think someone is not paying attention, call on them.  Keep
this age busy.  Give precise directions about what to do with books and what
the rules are.  When a group first comes in, it is nice to have some activity
(like a word-find or puzzle). With an ADD student you might try giving them a
simple job to do.  One thing to do is ask questions and have the whole group do
thumbs up for yes and thumbs down for no.  I hope this is a little help.

By the way, I am in the Teacher Preparation Program with Region XI (alternative
certification) and am looking for a special ed. position at any level in Ft.
Worth or any district between Ft. Worth and Denton or anything close to
Denton.  I am told there is a lot of hiring in August and that many smaller
districts have needs.  Let me know if you know of any jobs.  I am putting out
many applications.  Thanks.  Jane Bell

LM_NET Archive Home