Netfolk,

On the off chance that there's someone out there that wants to make an
informed decision, both Booklist and School Library Journal recommend
Pocahontas by Susan Donnell, a 14th generation descendant of the indian
princess.  Her novel is based on historical fact and besides being as close
as we are going to get to the root of the myth, is gracefully written.  It's
available everywhere as a Berkley paperback, but at 404 pages requires a
certain willingness to learn.

I do hope that there are fewer K-5 folks out there using video as a
babysitting tool than the general reaction indicates, but isn't that why
we're here? -- To fill in the gaps with alternate readings and suggested
activities?  Without shoving party line down their throats?  And without
violating fair use laws?

As for the original posting, quoting lines out of context and slandering poor
old John Smith, let's just feel sorry for folks that accept the first version
they hear and put a wall up around their ignorance.

I realize that the last time I spoke and took a shot at defending Barbie, I
had to live with the flames.  So be it.  I plan on getting the buxom Pocette
as soon as she arrives at Burger King -- maybe I'l have her fly one of the
McDonald's Zord vehicles over the fiction section to start school in the
fall.

Richard Moore, MCP

LM_NET Archive Home