Librarians in our school district need to know if tables of contents on
magazines are copyrighted.  The high school librarian was photocopying
tables of contents from professional journals subscribed to by the library
for each elementary school library and our middle school library.  The
purpose of this was for professional development.  Teachers in each
building would come to the library and look through the contents to see if
there were articles of interest to them. They would then go to the high
school library to read the pertinent articles.

Our school board recently adopted a copyright policy and we have looked
everywhere but this list and cannot find if we would be in violation if the
practice of photocopying tables of contents of professional periodicals
continues.  Please help.  Need references cited if it proves to be within
the law to copy contents of magazines for the above purpose.  Thanks.

LM_NET Archive Home