I hesitate to post this since it seems we've covered the issue long enough,
but here is my two cents' worth.  We had a major problem with bulbs in our
chemistry department. I thought they must be leaving these machines on
overnight, greasing their fingers before installing a new bulb, selling the
bulbs on the black market for $$ for new chemistry books, etc. Our
technician tried this solution and it seems to have worked. A resistor was
installed in series (not parallel) between the rectifier and the lamp. I
don't know what this means (something to do with correcting uneven current
flow), but if you contact your technician, he or she might understand and
take it from there.  We've cut our bulb usage in half - or more.

Karen Ylinen
Wayzata High School
305 Vicksburg Lane
Plymouth, MN 55447