Hi folks,

I shared the HIT I posted a few days a go with the Surfwatch folks. The CEO
in return has on a point-by-point basis responded to some of the concerns I
had, and it seems many of you also shared.

I think this posting is more to an issue and is not a product endorsement
or advertisement. Anyway, I found the CEO's reply of interest.

Doug

>Date: Fri, 02 Jun 1995 12:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
>From: info@surfwatch.com
>Subject: SurfWatch Software Questions
>To: palsdaj@VAX1.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU
>
>Doug,
>Thanks for all the email, and for the posting about our phone call.  Bill,
>our CEO took the time to answer your questions and this reflects more of
>what you and I discussed on the phone.  We would greatly appreciate your
>posting this so other people can understand our philosophy, and any
>response from you is always welcome.
>
>Ann
>
>>I have just received an interesting piece of software on my desk -
>>Surf-Watch. It claims to be able to "block" sexually explicit material fro=
>>machines on the Internet. It comes with sites already blocked chosen by "a
>>team of experienced surfers" and "all sites are reviewed by a panel of
>>parents and educators."
>>
>>The original program must be purchased ($49.95), and then a subscription i=
>>sold which will update the blocked sites ($5.95 per month) with educationa=
>>discounts available.
>>

>For educational institutions, there are steep discounts on the product and
>maintenance (subscriptions).  The maintenance includes site licenses,
>software updates, and SurfWatch=81 Manager -- the program for customizing
>site lists (which will be available soon).
>
>>They say they will make customizable lists.
>
>Until SurfWatch=81 Manager is released, we will offer to provide users with
>specific needs a custom site list service.  As soon as SurfWatch Manager is
>available, users will be able to do their own site list creation or
>modification.
>

>>Quite frankly, I've had teachers and administrators clamouring for a
>>program like this. But I am concerned about a few things:
>>
>>1) It seems that we loosing local control of the selection of materials fo=
>>our schools. I hesitate to let anyone in California (or New York or North
>>Dakota etc.) decide what materials my Mankato kids will or will not have
>>access to regardless of how well intentioned they are.
>>

>The whole idea behind SurfWatch is to distribute content control to the end
>user and local sites.  If we do this well enough, then there will not be a
>need for centralized content regulation.
>
>>Will there be grade levels? A page about birth control methods is probably
>>fine in some schools at some grades, inappropriate in other communities or
>>at other grades.
>>

>SurfWatch@ Manager will allow different filter configurations on different
>machines.  It will also make it convenient to change between configurations
>on a specific machine, although it may requre rebooting to do so.
>
>>Customizable lists? Yeah, right, like I'm going to take responsibility for
>>finding all the objectionable stuff out there!
>>

>By using the list provided by SurfWatch as a starting point, and then
>adding/deleting your personal sites, you can let SurfWatch do the core of
> [...]

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor  |        Month-End Report
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools        | All targets met;
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713          | All systems working;
Voice: 507-387-7698                      | All customers satisfied;
=46ax: 507-387-2496                        | All staff eager and enthusiasti=
c;
E-mail: palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu    |      All pigs fed and ready to fl=
y.
or:     djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us                            V. Arwginski