Michele and Group,

We issued barcoded library cards using student ID numbers.  That isn't
new, but when the assistant principal who is in charge of discipline saw
them he said they were exploring an idea that I had not thought about.
He said the police would like students to have a high school ID set in
hard plastic (ours is quite perishable -- laminated cardboard) with all
kinds of pertinent information such as parent/guardian, telephone number,
age (of course), allergies (something like a health history).

They would have a hand scanner and could just scan the information into a
portable device that would bring up that information instantaneously --
particularly in case of an accident.  I'm sure the cards would also be
used in case of moving violations, vandalism, etc.

Because I work with all students in the school, I may know their faces
but not all their names.  That's not the case with many of the teachers who
are confined to certain grade levels but must chaperone school
functions.  We've talked about issuing barcoded IDs to be read with a
portable reader to make sure students who attend *are* BHS students.

None of those ideas are particularly original.  I'm sure there are others.

Betty Dawn Hamilton
<bhamilt@tenet.edu>
Brownfield, Texas 79316

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995 missnerm@VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU wrote:

> A teacher in our building is wondering if there are any creative ideas
> out there using barcodes for students and teachers.  I am not sure
> exactly what he is looking for--but we thought it would be interesting to
> see what anyone has thought of.  Michele

LM_NET Archive Home