Greetings from Idaho and the great Pacific Northwest!  The response to
the PNLA YRCA list was so great I decided to send it to everyone.  Sorry
if this clutters your mailbox.

The award was established in the 1940's as a children's choice award by
the Pacific Northwest Library Association.  Every year, librarians and
teachers make suggestions for nominations.  The YRCA committee of PNLA
selects the final list in the spring.  Titles must be published 3 years
prior to the award date.  Children read the books through the next school
year and vote on their favorites in March.  The winner is announced in
April and the award is presented at the annual PNLA conference.

Last year's winner for grades 4-8 was Terror in the Zoo by Peg Kehret.
The winner for grades 9-12 was Who Killed My Daughter? by Lois Duncan.

Nominees for the 1996 Young Readers' Choice Award ........................

for grades 4-8:

Bauer, Marion D.  A Taste of Smoke.  Clarion.
Conly, Jane L.  Crazy Lady.  Harper Collins.
Cooper, Susan.  Boggart.  McElderry.
DeClements, Barthe.  Pickle Song.  Viking.
Hill, Kirkpatrick.  Winter Camp.  Macmillan.
Johnston, Julie.  Hero of Lesser Causes.  Little Brown.
Klause, Annette C.  Alien Secrets.  Delacorte.
Meyer, Carolyn.  White Lilacs.  Harcourt.
Mikaelson, Ben.  Sparrow Hawk Red.  Hyperion.
Naylor, Phyllis R.  Boys Start the War/The Girls Get Even.
Paulsen, Gary.  Harris and Me.  Harcourt.
Ross, Ramon R.  Harper & Moon.  Macmillan.

for grades 9-12:

Crutcher, Chris.  Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes.  Greenwillow.
        (Chris is an Idaho author.  He now lives in Spokane, WA! You see,
we have more claim to fame than just potatoes!)
Dickinson, Peter.  Bone From a Dry Sea.  Delacorte.
Lowry, Lois.  The Giver.  Houghton.
Mori, Kyoko.  Shizuko's Daughter.  Henry Holt.
Wolff, Virginia.  Make Lemonade.  Henry Holt.

Thanks for your interest.  Happy reading!
Kevin Booe, Boise Public Library, Boise, Idaho

LM_NET Archive Home