 Jennifer,

        The first thing to do is to have as many Librarians and English
teachers read it as possible.  They may have suggestions on grammer and
or on story form.  Once the story is as perfect as it can be, go to the
public library and check out a copy of the latest Children's Writers
Market which lists most major children's book publishers and many small
publishers.  Make sure you send for writer's guidelines before submitting
the manuscript and also try to research the type of books each suitable
publisher has on the market (ie read them).  I would think many
publishers would be receptive to a book written by children; however, I
would start with the small publishing houses.  Do not send it to Crystal
River Press!!!  Once you submit the manuscript, it will take at least
three months before you hear from the publisher.  I suggest you sent it
to publishers who except multiple or simultaneous submissions.  Good luck
and be patient.

Susan Carr
sjcarr@umd5.umd.edu
Children's Writer and Media Assistant
Julius West Middle School
Bethesda, MD

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Jennifer L. Bertovich wrote:

> LM_Netters,
>
> As I am finishing up the jobs we have to do, a teacher comes to me and
> asks about publishing a book.  Apparently she had students write a story
> and illustrate it.  We think the book is good enough to publish but, I
> have no idea where to start.  I checked in a book we have _Children's
> Writing and Publishing in the 90's_ but it really didn't help.  I told
> them that we could possible get it published in Merilyn's Pen, but they
> want it in book form.  Please help me out if you can.  The students last
> day is tomorrow but I am here until June 16th.  TIA.
>

> Jennifer Bertovich              bertovic@umd5.umd.edu
> Bates Middle School
> Annapolis, Maryland

LM_NET Archive Home