I've tried to keep out of this, but I can no longer resist.  When I was 8
years old, I discovered the Bobbsey twins.  In addition to reading every
other book I could get my hands on, I started reading the Bobbsey twins.
As the years went on, I had the guidance of many librarians who would put my
hands on such things as Walter Farley's series, or other goodies such as
_The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet_, and, of course, there were
also the Scholastic books that were bought through the classroom...so, the
diet was rich.
Nevertheless, I didn't lose my fascination with that family where the
children had so much more freedom and possibility than I seemed to have.
So, my point is basically this.  There is no harm to Barbie's magazine as
long as the child doesn't stop there.  If you make the magazine
inaccessible, then they will find it some other place.  I'd just as soon
have the magazine in my elementary library (if I had such a place) because
sooner or later, the children are going to be asking questions about why
Barbie stays the same, and about the bias.  It's a matter of patience.
        In time, I grew past the Bobbsey twins and majored in 19th century
English literature, taught adolescents, and then went to library school.  My
experience with the Bobbsey twins has given me an empathy for the teenagers
I work with.  I know that if I wait long enough, the teenage boys I deal
with daily will grow up.
        -the flying nun, herself...
--
Sr.Mary Veronica,CHS       "All that is required for
Xavier High School,NYC      the triumph of evil is for

LM_NET Archive Home