I also just returned from the ALA convention in Chicago and was happy to
hear in the exhibit hall that Gale had offered (after much feedback from
us, I'm sure) a 40% discount to update the core software module of the new
edition of Discovering Authors.  However, I had no luck with Columbia's
new Granger's CD.  I spoke to Hal Dalby, sales director about the fact
that they are offering NO DISCOUNT AT ALL FOR THEIR NEW GRANGERS! He
explained that 147 libraries (including mine) had bought their old
Granger's CD within a year of the new edition and they still would not
give even those people a break! If you think you fall in this category,
please give Hal Dalby a call at (212) 66-1000, ext. 7132 and give him a
piece of your mind. You can bet I did...
 Alicia M. Astorga     aastorga@ccantares.wcupa.edu
                 Ursuline Academy
   1106 Pennsylvania Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19806
     phone (302) 658-7158    fax (302) 658-8832

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, David Levin wrote:

> Greetings LM_Netters!
>
>         A representative of Gale Research at the ALA Convention in
> Chicago told me yesterday that Gale Resaerch will give a 40% discount off
> the $700 price to update from an older edition of Discovering Authors.  I
> agreed with Sandra Lee Parks' message last month (see below), and I still
> think that Gale Research is charging too much to update their software
> products.  Some of the big software companies (e.g. Microsoft, etc.) don't
> charge that much for upgrades, and I don't know too many moderate size
> software companies that charge big bucks for an update or upgrade.
>         BTW, the new Discovering Authors disk edition has an additional 60
> authors and some modified information of the current authors.
>         How do you feel about Gale Research's new update policy?  If I
> get a enough responses, I'll post a HIT.
>
>                         Regards,
>
>                         David Levin     d-levin@bgu.edu
>                         Media Center Director
>                         Rich Central High School