 Dear Netters,
        I have been following this discussion with great interest, and it
is my humble opinion that as literary critics you are being far too
literal.  To my way of thinking the tree is a symbol of life and that
what we ask of life is far more that we are willing to contribute.
Incidentally, I hate the silly thing also.

                                Phyllis Schafer

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Johanna Halbeisen Rebecca Johnson School wrote:

> I was never wild about The Giving Tree and then someone pointed out that the
> boy/man relates to the tree (a female) similar to the way many men related
> to women.  This was not a two-way relationship!  It also reminds me of ways
> many people relate to tress and other things in the environment, seeing them
> only in terms of what they can get from them.  I cannot stomach The Giving
> Tree.
>
> --
> Johanna Halbeisen                               "We are confronted by
> Rebecca M. Johnson School(K-8)                   insurmountable opportunties."
> Springfield, Mass
> jhalbei@k12.oit.umass.edu                               Pogo

LM_NET Archive Home