Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 20:32:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Tim Lance <timlance@tenet.edu>
Subject: Re: The Giving Tree

J----,

I know how you feel when you don't have at your hands that which you are
terribly concerned at the moment -- that's another long story.

Actually, I've never considered it as you have and I *do* now see your point
as well as I might possibly be able.  This is very personal but I will
share it with you -- about the only time I have a strong "male ego" is
when I think how glad I am that I am not a woman who is trying to find a
good man.  I know my brothers.

As for the story I think the tree does need the boy and actually a case
could be made for what is now called co-dependency but such a concept was
not readily bandied about back then.  Still, the whole point of
unconditionalness is just that -- there is no condition, no expectation
(hope and desire and dreams, yes; again speaking as a parent and longtime
husband - over 20 years).  On the other hand, Shel Silverstien (sp?) is
basically a real shit (based on 1970's writings I remember from Playboy -
my ego must tell you I haven't seen one in years).  You know what really
bothers me?  Too many kids just don't get it -- I am in a rather
"deprived" school.

Take care,

Tim

LM_NET Archive Home