One more view on weeding:
We discarded many books when we closed several schools in our district. It
created all kinds of problems in the community--why were we getting rid of
these perfectly wonderful books that the parents had read? (Butternut Bill
was the title the school custodian complained about in his letter to the
editor of the local newspaper.) People were going through the dumpsters to
look at the books and complain about the particular items we chose to weed.
We now sell our discarded books to a recycling firm that gives us so much per
ton for paper. It may not make much money, but it certainly is an acceptable
answer for people who want to hand those books out to students. (One book
suggested *we pretend man could go to the moon--even though we know that will
never be possible*. Wouldn't that be a great book to send home?) Also works
for people who complain that we need to use all of our resources instead of
throwing them away! So far no one has complained about actually making money
on discarded books!
Kay Rewerts
Waterloo Community Schools
Waterloo, IA