I have weeded thousands of books since I began at this school 9 years
ago.  This summer we are being recarpeted, so it seems like a good time
to go around again, and avoid boxing, moving and unboxing the rejects.  I
was surprise to learn how many librarians toss the books in the
dumpster.  We are not allowed to do so.  I have always assumed this was
law (state law?), not simply district policy.  All discards must have all
ownership markings obliterated, and are boxed and counted and sent to the
warehouse.  Once a year, they are made available to district staff.
Then, a public surplus sale is held (surplus equipment is handled this
way also).  Unclaimed books are then sold as scrap I believe.  We are not
allowed to throw away anything with a school ownership stamp.

LM_NET Archive Home