I apologize for taking so long to post this.  The end of the semester has
enveloped me.   Basically, I posted my orginial question about the effects of
Whole language on the library to get an idea of what was happening around the
country.  Unfortunately, I did not keep very scientific reserarch.
I had about 20 repsonses, most positive.  The negs said that children weren't
learning to read and it made their jobs more idfficult.
The positives said everything from
greater enthusiasm for leisure reading, teaching was changing (librarian's),
classrooms were having better libraries, "Whole language is the best thing to
happen", classroom teachers were modeling their love of literature, big effects
on collection development with more teacher input, more role in curriculum
planning, multiple copies of books needed.

Thank you again to everyone who responded.  If anyone would like to respond to
the effects of whole language on the school library, please email me at
parry@acavax.lynchburg.edu  I promise to post an hit sooner and keep more
a more scientificway of keeping responses instead of little scraps of paper
around my computer :)
--Meredith Parry  parry@acavax.lynchburg.edu   a asynk to v d

LM_NET Archive Home