It's like this:
What do you do for work?
"I'm a middle school teacher."
(Gasp) Oh, I'm so sorry.  How can you stand it?
"I said I'm a middle school teacher, not an undertaker.  I teach middle
school.!"
Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.  Ooooh, that's too bad.  How long have you had this
condition?
"Long enough to know not just ANYone can teach middle school!  We're so
patient we make Mr. Roger's neighborhood look like fast-forward programming.
We're the original good humor bar - we can rearrange any mood swing that
walks in the room, just by cracking a joke.  And we're not surprised by
anything - we see middle schoolers with a pacifier in their mouth one day
with a stuffed animal in their locker, and in the next breath they're
dancing close and upset about a boyfriend, or chasing each other on the
playground: it's kind of like watching the Packers play: up one half, down
the next.
"Teaching middle school is a lot like being at the Front in a war zone: You
never know what's headed your way; but you better be redy, or they'll run
you over.  You can't be boring, long-winded, or unorganized; this age group
will tune you out so fast you'll limp home like a disoriented person with
Alzheimer's wondering "What happened?"
And then, after you're SURE you've lost them, they come back the next day
ready to give you the attention of a dog who smells red meat inis age group
will tune you out so fast you'll limp home like a disoriented person with
Alzheimer's wondering "What happened?"
And then, after you're SURE you've lost them, they come back the next day
And then, after you're SURE you've lost them, they come back the alf

LM_NET Archive Home