After many years in which I didn't collect fines, I reluctantly decided
that I must - mainly for those students who kept books for ages,
regardless of whether anyone else needed them, or, who "bought" a book
from us by eventually paying for a book that cost me much more to replace.
However, to simplify the process for myself, I introduced an enforcer
friendly and user friendly system.
Student are charged 5 cents a school day, but, if they bring the book
back in ten days or less, the fine is forgiven. After that the fine is
collected back to the first day the book was overdue.This means the
lowest charge will be 55 cents. If a book is lost, they must pay for the
book plus fines accumulated. No library priviledges while fines are
owing. We hold grade cards and diplomas.  Only the dropouts elude me
eventually, and the fines make a great petty cash fund, from which I buy
"remainder" books. Hope this helps

   Rayna Patton, Librarian                Marysville Exempted Village Schools
   Marysville High School                 Voice   513/642-0010
   800 Amrine Mill Rd                     FAX     513/642-2033
   Marysville, Ohio  43040                E'Mail  KMV_PATTON@MEC.OHIO.GOV

LM_NET Archive Home