Hi folks!  (I've also blind-carboned several folks connected to this issue
in some way.)  Some interesting updates since my last report on the
vulgar-email incident.  I contacted the person who maintains the network
that was the source of the IP number originating the inappropriate message.
He identified the IP # as coming from a recently-connected K-12 district
elsewhere in his state. At this point I can put a pin on the map and tell
you where that message came from; I also know the date and minute it was
sent, and of course I have the original message ID# from the header of the
message.

I emailed the district that was the source of this message and I'm awaiting
a reply--it has been over 24 hours so I may have to follow up by telephone,
as I did yesterday (crime may not pay, but it isn't cheap to fight it,
either). I'm squeezing this work in around deadlines.  But I feel good
about my follow-up.

The administrator I spoke to yesterday was cooperative, but he made an
interesting comment: "you must feel pretty strongly about this."
Understand I was working to be upbeat, chipper and nonthreatening, so it's
an interesting comment, directed, I presume, at the time and resources I'm
using to run down this message.  So why AM I following up?  There are many
reasons.  First, the Internet is my community and I expect to be treated
with respect; it's a basic human right.  Second, it really bothers me that
the Internet seems to replicate and in some instances aggravate some
extremely misogynist behavior in our society.  Messages such as the one I
received are primitive attempts to control one gender through intimidation.
What I'm supposed to do, I think, is shriek and cry and never log on
again--I'm certainly not supposed to hunt down the perp and have a talk
about respect and the 'net.  Third, I'm bothered that software
manufacturers aren't listening to libraries when we say we need more secure
versions of their software.  Don't we count?  Or are they too "moneybags"
to deal with us?  Fourth, when things are wrong, we need to right them;
this is my version of "the personal is the political."

End of lecture.  More to follow when I have concrete updates.  I'm thinking
of turning this into an article...

Karen G. Schneider, Blue Highways Internet Services   kgs@intac.com
Cybrarian/Internet Trainer  "Have Powerbook, Will Travel!"
Need a NJ provider?  Free referrals.
Visit Karen's Kitchen at http://www.intac.com/~kgs/