This topic really interests me, because my concern is that students
continue reading throughout the upper grades, as well as onward.  A
couple of years ago, we started building up classroom libraries in the
English classrooms, and my first concern was that my circulation would
drop.  However, I have found my circulation figures increasing, mainly
because of the importance that has been placed on reading for pleasure,
and not only for research.  I try to maintain a pretty close relationship
with my faculty, and make sure that I offer the popular authors and
topics as well as the classroom libraries, with additional titles
available.  For example, our senior guys got on a Vietnam kick early this
year, and when they couldn't find what they wanted on the classroom
shelves, they asked to come to the library.  Also I had some who came to
me first, because they knew I could lead them directly to the 959.704s.
Anyway--good to get extra tips.  Hang in there!
Betty Copeland
St. Michael's Academy
Austin, Texas
bcope@tenet.edu