I don't consider being held accountable for fines or materials as
disciplinary.  The basic fact is that if I have overdue books at the
local library I cannot check out anymore books until I have settled my
account.  I work at a private school that holds students accountable for
tuition, lost books and materials.  Should we just say "Fine,
students--take everything, do not return them for anyone else's use, and
forget about replacing what you have damaged or lost?"
Betty Copeland
St. Michael's Academy
Austin, Texas
bcope@tenet.edu