When a class comes in to do research all at onece, I meet with
them to teach them the strategies they need to successfully
accomplish the research needed for that assignment. I then give
individual help as needed during the class. Tjis allows
students to get help in practicing the skills, but since one
cannot be everywhere at once, the students have a clue as to
where to go and what to do if I'm not available to work with
them directly. (I insist on knowing assignments ahead of time
if the class is coming en masse to the library -- otherwise
they don't come. Yes, I've had to wing it a few times, but
those teachers have seen the benefit of allowingme time to
prepare for their classes and they don't surprise me much any
more.)

When students come in individually, we provide one on one
instruction to meet their needs. Over the years, I see where
their research questions become more intelligent (how do I
refine this search vs. how do I print from the encyclopedia)
so I figure I must be doing something right. Occasionally a
teacher will assign independent research and not let us know,
bvut when their students complain back to them that
a)everything's checked out or b) the library doesn't have
anything and then I have a chat with them to c) show them how
this frustration could have been avoided -- then I have a
convert.

Sandra Parks
sparks@pen.k12.va.us
Harrisonburg High School