Our new high school math series contains extra credit assignments for
students that require them to find biographical information on and/or
formulas developed by "obscure" mathematicians.  I need a suggestion for a
reference book that contains math biographies, etc. that is affordable.  We
are a small K-12 district with about 600 students so money is a factor.

These people are not in Webster's Biographical Dictionary.  We sometimes
manage to find an entry in an encyclopedia index which leads us to a
sentence or two in an article on a mathematical principle. Even Internet
searches have yielded little if any information on these people.

In Missouri we have a toll free reference center housed at a large public
library.  They have had difficulty finding some of these assignments. I also
went to a college library and literally searched the shelves with the help
of a reference librarian.  We finally found a needed formula in a book with
a 1951 copyright.

I have talked to the teacher and he says book probably meant for them to
search the Internet. Magic answer for everything, right?

Any suggestions for titles to purchase would be appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~

dhr000@mail.connect.more.net
Gloria Knipp   K-12 Librarian
Moniteau Co. R-VI School