On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Faith W. Van Putte 904 243 0207 wrote:

> bring them back the next Tuesday night. Until the evening I left the
> Juvenile area and found what? I can't remember what it was called, but the
> 'librarian' called it "not appropriate for my age level, and NO! you may
> not check out these books!" I went to my dad, and he stormed in and
> informed the person behind the desk that if I felt I was ready for 'those
> books'  I was. I got the books, and loved them. Twenty four years later,
> the same thing happened to my oldest daughter. My turn to have a fit. Soon
> it will probably happen to my granddaughter. Hope her mother follows suit!

I think part of what is going on here is poorly trained circ desk people
or circ desk people who want more authority than they have.  It's like
blaming the doctor for what the doctor's receptionist does.  And of
course the professionals are at fault sometimes too and are responsible
for making sure the clerical help is well trained but - - -

Most of the general public has no idea that a Librarian is any different
than the person who shelves the books and date stamps them etc.  Even if
they have a vague inkling of the difference they don't know much about our
role or educational background, and I think that's a shame.

Any ideas about how to improve the situation?

LM_NET Archive Home