I have not had complaints about graphic language or violence in "The
Giver."   I taught this book to about 55 accelerated 7th grade
students and offered plenty of guidance.  I personally feel that the
students would have missed much in the book without teacher direction and
a great deal of classroom discussion.  Some of the students just couldn't
get beyond the literal meanings in the book.  However, for those
willing to stay with the discussions, I feel a great many insights were
gained into the problems we have in our society and into possible
solutions and their costs. For a closing activity, students wrote essays
about a particular aspect of "The Giver" which interested them.  Some of
the students wrote on religion, individual freedoms, and the positive
aspects (much to my surprise) of living in a society without choices,
hence without crime.  One unexpected result of this unit was that many of
the students' parents read the book then disussed it with their
students.  I was delighted with such parental envolvement.

I am a 7th grade English teacher at Ozark Junior High. If you wish to
respond, please write to Attn: IWarden at the address below.

Sharon Harmon
Ozark Junior High Library
Ozark, MO 65721
sharmon@mail.orion.org