Below are listed the responses I received in regards to background
information on King Arthur.  I'll be doing some purchasing soon!
Dictionary of the Middle Ages_ (12 vol, Scribner's)
__Man, Myth & Magic_ (11 vol, Marshall Cavendish)

in the reference section, and a few books in the 942.01 section
(King of the Celts, In Search of King Arthur...can't think of the
others..)

King Arthur by Michael O'Neal - part of the Great Mysteries Opposing
Viewpoints series is easy reading.
"Guardian of the Grail" by John Whitehead goes into much more heavy duty
research on the Arthurian
Legend;
" King Arthur" from the series World Leaders Past & Present has lots
of pictures and covers King Arthur;
"Arthur the King" by Graeme Fife covers the themes behind the legends is a
little more scholarly;
"King Arthur Hero and Legen" by Richard Barber is another fairly scholarly
work.
Then there are three of the story books: "Book of King Arthur and
his Noble Knights" by Malory, "King Arthur and His Knights" by Macleod,
and "The Story of King Arthur and His Knights" byy Howard Pyle.
A student just brought me a copy of a book he was greatly
enjoying--published by Usbourne that included all of those characters.
Sorry but I gave the book back to him, and I don't have a catalog--but it
might be a place to start.
In the "Cyclopedia of Literary Characters", 1963, p. 742 is a listing
of the characters from LeMorte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory, listing
Merlin, Guenevere, Lancelot, Arthur etc.
the other one.  You can get this info thru Yahoo also.
The Arthurian Encyclopedia edited by  Norris J. Lacy ISBN 0-87226-164-6
16.95 in paper.

King Arthur by Paul C. Doherty, ISBN0-87754-506-5, 17.95 hard cover.
I really like a few WWW sites:  Avalon is a very attractive site:
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/chris_manchester/arthur.html
and it links you to another site called ARTHUR NET.
Last one for now:
http://www.zmall.com/bmm/books-faq/arthurian.html
This last site is a very long bibliography of all kinds of Arthur-
connected literature.
Just type Arthurian  or Arthur Net into a search engine and you will
probably find many sites to use.

Scribner's Dictionary of the Middle Ages has quite a bit of info on
Arthurian legends.

Thanks to all who replied.  I couldn't recall if we were sending on
addresses or not, so I didn't include any.

Linda

Linda Elliott
Library Media Teacher
Pleasant Valley High School