I was working in a middle school when The Giver came out.  It is a school
that does lots of seminars across the curriculum.  I read The Giver in a
single sitting, got up from my desk and went straight to a 7th/8th grade
team of teachers who were meeting across the hall and said, " This book
just begs to be discussed in a seminar."  I loved it and I know many
teachers at the school read and discussed it among themselves for
months.  I left that school for a different position and don't know if
they used it for discussion with their team, but I would have loved to
have participated with them if they did. Incidentally, while I was there,
they conducted several seminars on different teams that included adult
participants from the community.  It was an exciting place to be.

Cheryl
        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu