> Most of the general public has no idea that a Librarian is any different
> than the person who shelves the books and date stamps them etc.  Even if
> they have a vague inkling of the difference they don't know much about our
> role or educational background, and I think that's a shame.
>
> Any ideas about how to improve the situation?

Yes, I think so.  For starters (& I apologize, because it's pure corn, but
I really believe it) stop complaining around fellow workers & patrons,
whether school or public library.  Always try to remember to have a pleasant
look on your face.  Always evangelize.  Always try to be extremely helpful,
cooperative and sympathetic to the patron.  I personally am so tired of going
into school & public libraries & having people look so darned *grim*!!!  And
of the big sigh when a difficult patron has left.  And of people looking
so BUSY!!!  We know we're busy.  Busy beyond belief, and certainly beyond
pay....but no one else needs to know that we're stressed out of our gourds!
They need to know we're calm, passionate & joyful about this service
profession, and capable of finding the help & materials they need & want.

And don't miss one single opportunity out in your community to spread your
message...and one can do that mainly by being helpful even "out there."
If you perceive a need when you are talking with someone, see if there's
something or someone you can think of that will be helpful to this person.
Pretty soon, everyone will depend on the library media folks!  Cool, huh?

Mary

Mkraft.nosc@ash.palni.edu

LM_NET Archive Home