Yesterday I had a parent ask me if I allowed them to come in and take out
books in  quantity.  I asked her if she used the local public library and she
responded that she did, but that her children had all but exhausted the
childrens' collection, and anyway it was hard to get into the public library
because of current construction.
     I told her that on occasion parents have borrowed books for special
events, needs, etc.; but that our collection differed somewhat from the
public library's in that it supports the curriculum, and if I opened the
doors to eager parents, then materials that teachers would use, or that would
be available to all students for resources would not be there.  I was a
little uncomfortable with my answer because I realize the power of public
relations, and the need for parental advocacy because in New York state,
elementary librarians are not mandated.  Last year, my position was put on
the block  along with several other elementary nonmandated positions.
 Fortunately, the community urged the Board of Ed to reinstate all of them,
which it did.  However, what will happen this year is another story.  This
particular mother stated that she would be in a couple of times weekly if not
more.  She accepted my answer, but I'm wondering if there is a need in
communities with small public libraries for there to be access to the school
library for parents.  I am planning an open house night for Nov. 13 as a
kick-off for Childrens' Book Week, and intend to allow parents and children
to sign out books together at the time.  Any input, please would be
appreciated.  TIA, Jean MacAlpine.  P.S.  I just love to dialog with you
all--my colleagues.  You have such wonderful ideas and insights.
 Participating in this listserv is a very enriching experience for me.  JM

LM_NET Archive Home