Dear Netters,
        I just discovered a terrific book:
        Ladson-Billings, Gloria.  The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers
of African American Children.  San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers,
1994.

        As a white teacher in a school that is 40% African American
students, grieving when the white kids usually come out on top in
the spelling bee, the grades, etc, I know we are failing our Black
students.  I found this book encouraging even though it gives no
easy answers.  Has anyone else read it?  I'd love to discuss it with
anyone who has.
--
Johanna Halbeisen                               "We are confronted by
Rebecca M. Johnson School(K-8)                   insurmountable opportunties."

LM_NET Archive Home