I am joining this discussion at this point so I'm not sure if I am adding
anything or being redundant.  I have had so many overdue books (not to
mention a couple that have been returned in shoddy condition) that I finally
put up an incentive chart.  If the entire class returns its books, I will put
a star up on the chart.  When they have four stars, they will get a "brownie"
(or cupcake or dunkin donut) party.  I figured that classmates will put the
pressure on each other and maybe I would get my books back (I have a minute
budget and I have to resort to bribery..)
I do not let students take out books when they have overdue books-this was
school policy even before I arrived but I would have come to the same
decision.  I just can't afford to lose books. (I work in two schools and one
of my libraries has a huge collection of  "sad" books)  If a child brings
back a book that is torn, scribbled on, etc.  I try to get the money-if I
cannot get the money I allow the child to take out a book but the book  must
remain in the classroom.
Hope that I have not been redundant.
Marjorie Schor
mjschor@aol.com