Hello all.  This is a question for those with experience with DOS-based
computers and CD-ROM stackers.

Edgar Dale supports students, faculty, and staff in the College of
Education with K-12 teaching materials.  We also provide a site where they
can search reference databases such as ERIC, Science Helper, Children's
Reference Plus, etc.  We need to replace our aged DOS machine with a new
one that runs Windows.  We would like to acquire some sort of stacker that
would let us load *at least* 7 CDs (preferable more like 10-15) so we don't
have to keep them on permanent reserve and load them whenever someone comes
to use the machine.  We want to put an ethernet card in this machine so it
can connect to some of the University's computer services (like Netscape
and the University's OPAC).  We already have a printer; we don't need that.

I'm quite computer-comfortable (so don't worry about being technical in
your answers; I'll ask about what I don't understand) but have worked
primarily with Macintosh machines for the past 8 years.  I've tried keeping
up with the DOS/Windows environment by reading -- but lack hands-on
experience.

I'm collecting info about what I might want, but would like to know more
before I start talking with sales people.  For example, do I have to buy a
CD ROM stacker that is essentially a stack of CD ROM machines, or can I get
one that holds all the CDs but only can play one at a time (the other would
work for a network, but we don't have that and probably won't for the
forseeable future).    We are, unfortunately, on a tight budget (this
*must* come in -- CPU, monitor, CD drives, cables, software, et.al -- at
under $6K)

I appreciate all your help!

Laura K. Brendon
Program Coordinator, Edgar Dale Media Center
The Ohio State University, 260 Ramseyer Hall
29 W. Woodruff, Columbus, OH  USA  43210
lbrendon@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

LM_NET Archive Home