A friend who is returning to Russia asked me about books available on
computer.  I told her that Project Gutenberg had books that were in the
public domain which she could access.  Today she asked me if they could
be downloaded to disc, since she can't afford the phone connect time to
read a whole book while online.  Makes sense, right?

She's coming to my house for dinner Wednesday night, if she hasn't gone
to Russia already by then.  If the response on this depends on the system
one is using, I have COREPLUS/cello through CSUNet (also can use graphical
interface GINA, though most of the time I use the terminal-based
account, since I ususally want text and not pictures).  Would this be an
ftp?  I've never done that before.

BTW, in spite of all my best efforts, I couldn't talk my daughter into
learning to do e-mail from Italy.  I am reduced to handwriting letters,
of all things, and talking to her on the phone.  She doesn't hear from me
as often as she would if we were sending e-mail, but I do thank you all
for the input you gave me last summer.  It could have been done through
our America Online account; I got a phone number in Milan (she's in
Florence)--maybe later.  I also have a step-daughter at East Tennessee
State University in Johnson City.  If you're still with me at the end of
this long message, what's available for students at ETSU for internet
access?  I've seen a couple of messages from Mel Page at ETSU, so I
figure there may be an educational/student system in Tennessee.

TIA

Diane Oestreich                 *The art of teaching is the art
Fullerton Union High School     of assisting discovery.*
201 E. Chapman Avenue
Fullerton, California 92632-1925
(714) 870-3729
FAX: (714) 870-3746