In a couple of years I will have to move our library to a new location in
another wing of the school, so I am always on the lookout for good
ideas.  This summer I helped move a large bookstore to its new digs
across the street from the old store.  We used shopping carts borrowed
from neighboring grocery stores.  Beginning at 1 p.m. on the hottest day
of the year, about 20 volunteers manned the carts which were loaded and
unloaded by store personnel.  At 4 p.m. we had finished moving 400,000 to
500,000 volumes. The key is to load the books in the same order as they
are on the shelf and to unload them in reverse order.  We all had a great
time and I discovered a number of wonderful titles I later went back to
buy. I plan to use the same strategies to move our
13,000 volumes.

Jane Merryman, Librarian
Petaluma High School
Petaluma, CA