I got this idea from another librarian and used it with my
5th graders last year.  (6th is probably better.)  I made
strips of paper with hero and heroine's names from well-
known tales, villains, settings, and basic plots.  I
separated these in bags.  The kids were paired up and each
pair had to choose 2 hero/heroines, 1 villain, 1 setting,
and 1 plot.  Then, they had to weave these together into
their own fractured fairy tale.  For example, Cinderella,
Robin Hood, and Captain Hook were all together in the
Enchanted Forest and someone was changed into a frog.
Some, of course, turned out much cuter than others.
The kids illustrated and I typed them
up on the computer.  We put them together into a binder and
they are in the library for all to share.  The kids loved the
project and so did I.

Hope this helps.

Lynn Bright                     Goliad Elementary School
Librarian                       3902 Goliad Street
bright@tenet.edu                San Angelo, TX 76904
        "Reading is a window to the world!"