Kim and all, I truly don't think that a child would damage a book just so
that he could keep it.  There are so many other ways to keep the
book--never check it out in the first place and have it just disappear, or
check it out and then report it lost...  I also have a sneaking suspicion
that if a child was so desperate to own the book, maybe he SHOULD have it.

Anne Knickerbocker                           Cedar Brook Elementary
Librarian                                    2121 Ojeman
SBISD                                        Houston, Texas 77080
aknicker@tenet.edu                           (713) 365-5020

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Kim Sherriff wrote:

> Many stated that if the student pays for the book, then they give it
to them.  However, my library aide with almost 20 years experience has
the fear that kids will damage a book (such as Stine's Goosebumps and
other popular ones) so they can keep it.  WE are in a rural community
with no public library in sight so this is a  real possibility.  Almost
everyone said that a good way to avoid future  damage is to show them
damaged books and teach them a lesson it ie.  ask them "What could have
caused the damage, What could have been done to  prevent the damage,
etc". > >

Kim Sherriff > GRIMES@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home