Dear lm_net members,

I would like to invite you to participate in the Live From the
Stratopshere project.  All of the key information you need is
in the attached newsletter!  Please share this information with
anyone who might be interested!

Sincerely,

Jan Wee

P A S S P O R T   T O    K N O W L E D G E
__                         ______
 |                         |
 |____                    _|_

  ______
 |_____     |   |__|  /_\   |  |  |  |__  |__| |__| |__ |__| |__
       |    |   |  \ /   \  |  |__|  __|  |    |  | |__ |  \ |__
  _____|
will allow students all across America to take a virtual trip aboard the
Kuiper Airborne Observatory (KAO), to interact with astronomers and the
flight-crew in real-time, to better appreciate the nature of contemporary
astronomy and its incredible discoveries over the past decades, and the
promise of the decades ahead. In this learning adventure,
                       ___
                        |ELEVISION,
                          ___
                           |ELECOMPUTING, &
                             ___
                              |EACHERS

work together to create a challenging and exciting scientific journey for
students of all ages. This newsletter will describe what is taking place
on-air, on-line and in classrooms each week. This week we are taking off
for a tour of Jupiter and the stars.  Please join us.

                       --------------------------
               ---====|   T E L E V I S I O N    |=====---
                       --------------------------
====>>>> The Pre Flight Briefing

We hope all of you were able to join us for a very exciting and informative
"Pre-Flight Briefing on the Kuiper Airborne Observatory." We had the
opportunity to look around inside and out and to meet and talk with the
people who will be directing the "Flight to Jupiter" this week. April Whitt
and some very talented students helped others show us what is involved in
mounting a telescope on a C-141 jet and flying it out beyond the distortion
caused by the atmosphere. The flight crew, scientists and technology
experts explained how the 36 inch primary mirror gathers light and reflects
it through a series of mirrors into a camera which transmits the digitized
infrared data to a computer where a image is displayed and recorded.

We know that students feel more a part of the journey if they can ask their
own questions as they listen to the questions from students in the video
linked sites. All students are invited to send their questions to the
people that they are seeing on camera.   Fax machines or E-mail provide
links for sending students questions.  Jake Chaput (Arlington Elementary)
comments on his student reactions to their opportunity to pose a question:

        My class went wild with enthusiasm when they heard
        " A question from Arlington Elementary School in
        Poughkeepsie, NY ..."

We hope that this introduction helped prepare your student for....

====>>> T H I S    W E E K:
                     __________________________
                     | /--------------------\ |
                     | |                    | |
 OCTOBER 12TH        | |       T H E        | |
                     | |   J U P I T E R    | |
                     | |   M I S S I O N    | |
                     | |                    | |       OCTOBER 12TH,
                     | \-------------------/  |         14:30 - 17:00 EST
                     |  * * ....         0 0  |
                     |________________________|
Off to Find Jupiter
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Students can track the flight as it leaves Ames Research Center in
California on its quest to bring Jupiter and its moon into view for
students across the country (see Activity 2E in the Teacher's Guide for
more information). If you have online access, you will be able to plot the
course by receiving flight data every 5 minutes. (Converting Universal time
to local time and noting what happens as time zones are crossed may help
students understand why scientists keep there records in Universal Time)
With the aid of technology, and some good luck, we should be able to leap
aboard the KAO at 2:30 EST somewhere above Florida or the Gulf of Mexico
and stay with the crew until they land the KAO in Houston, at Ellington Air
Force Base just before 5:00 EST.

The goal of this flight will be to view Jupiter and its moons.  Student who
have been following along will have studied the obit patterns for Io,
Europa, Ganymede and Callisto and will be ready to match their predictions
with images from the KAO.

We hope you will join us for this Passport to Knowledge FIRST ever
                 "LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE" broadcast.

The program will air live from 2:30 - 5:00 PM EST Eastern on October 12, 1995.
Check local listings to see if your local PBS station will be carrying the
program and at what time.

                     ___________________________
                     | /---------------------\ |
                     | |                     | |
 OCTOBER 13TH        | |      N I G H T      | |
                     | |  F L I G H T   T O  | |
                     | |  T H E   S T A R S  | |
                     | |                     | |       OCTOBER 13TH,
                     | \--------------------/  |         20:00 - 25:00 EST
                     |  * * ....          0 0  |                (01:00 10/14)
                     |_________________________|

Discoveries in the Stars
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Students will be with the Kuiper Airborne Observatory (virtually) as it
travels back from Houston to its home at the NASA Ames Research Center.
During the flight, we will explore the life cycle of the stars, looking
at "baby pictures" of places in th sky where stars are forming, a middle-aged
galaxy half as large as our own Milky Way, and a nebula formed as a star
approaches death.  In addition, the KAO will study the planet Saturn and its
giant moon, Titan.

Across the country, many classes and museums will be holding "Star Parties"
and camp-ins.  Following the progress of the KAO will be a highlight for these
gatherings; in addition, many locally developed activities will help help
engage students in the wonders of astronomy and science.

The program will air live from 8:00 PM EST on October 13, 1995 until
1:00 AM on October 14, 1995.  Check local listings to see if your local
PBS station will be carrying the program and at what time.

ORDERING the Live From the Stratosphere VIDEOTAPES from NASA

The programs will be available shortly (within a 3-5 days) after the live
broadcast schedule from :

        NASA CORE,  Lorain County JVS
        15181 Route 58 South, Oberlin, OH 44074
        Phone: 216-774-1051,ext 293 or 294;  Fax: 216-774-2144

                   -------------------------------
           ---====|   T E L E C O M P U T I N G   |=====---
                  --------------------------------
 _____________
|\             \                        /^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^\
| \  \======\   \                  ^=^=^  NEW OPPORTUNITY  ^=^=^
\  \_____________\                      \^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^/
 \   QUESTIONS?  |
  \______________|
  KAO SCIENTISTS AND SUPPORT CREW NOW READY TO TAKE QUESTIONS....

Live from the Stratosphere experts are ready and willing to answer
questions from teachers and students from October 5 through November 17,
1995!!  It is easy.  Just write a single question in a message and address
it to

                     question-lfs@quest.arc.nasa.gov.

In the subject field, please put the letters "QA:" before a descriptive
subject.  Also, provide a sentence of background information to help the
experts understand the grade level of your students.  The following example
should illustrate this idea.

      TO:             question-lfs@quest.arc.nasa.gov
      FROM:           your Email address
      SUBJECT:        QA: How the telescope works

      Hello,

      I am a fifth grader from Oakland, California.  I don't understand
      how you detect water vapor with infrared photography.  Can you explain
      this to me.

      Miai Kayato

To allow for participation from the largest possible number of classes we
ask that each teacher send no more than 20 questions during the project.
We hope that classrooms discussions and use of the materials will help
students frame questions that cannot be answered by other classroom
resources.

If you and your students  would like to receive all of the questions and
answers, you can do this by  sending an Email:

        To: listmanager@quest.arc.nasa.gov

        Subject:          (Leave blank)

        subscribe answers-lfs             (type this one line of text)

You can also search the data base for answers to your questions.  There are
instructions online for how to do this.

===>> Join a Web Chats and or VideoConferencing

Participants connect with each other on our Web page. During the days,
students discuss their preflight plans with each other.  At night, teachers
are communicating with each other and with KAO Telescope Tracker Allan Meyer.

Last Friday, Allen invited classrooms with CUSeeMe technology to join in a
videoconference at the KAO hangar on a computer called "Cave", IP =
128.102.130.110.

Here is are Marilyn Wall's comments on this experience:

      "Around 11:30 EDT we set up the computer,camera,and modem,
      typed in the reflector and found ourselves looking in the
      NASA Ames room and at Roger's fifth grade in Austin. Wow,
      it worked! By making this CU SeeMe connection, the
      whole LFS program became "personal" "interactive" experience
      for my students. They felt as if THEY were part of the Ames
      research team."

The Houston Museum of Natural Science invites Live from the Stratosphere
schools on the Internet to participate in the October 12 program through
the Museum via CU-SeeMe. The Museum will have 10 consoles in a
communications center directing questions to the Kuiper Airborne
Observatory. Two of these consoles will be targeted for CU-SeeMe
participants.  For more information send a message to  Carolyn Sumners
(sumners@alfven.rice.edu).

===>>> Field Journals for Juniors    ****NEW FEATURE*****

Field Journals are a regular feature of PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE Electronic field
trips.  These journals introduce students to the human dimensions of doing
science.  In feedback from Live from Antarctica, some of our youngest viewers
asked for journals that were easier for them to understand. This year we are
creating a new feature: Field Journals for Elementary students.   The first
postings are now online.

            ___                                                       ___
           (___)-----------------------------------------------------(___)
           |   | For information on all online features, send Email  |   |
  _-==-_   |   |          To:  info-lfs@quest.arc.nasa.gov           |   |
 /  ..  \__|   |                                                     |   |
/| `--' |___)  |        Gopher Server   quest.arc.nasa.gov           |   |
||      |  |   |       Live From the Stratosphere  Web site          |   |
(___\/___) |___|http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/livefrom/stratosphere.html |___|
           (___)-----------------------------------------------------(___)

                        -------------------------
                ---====|    T E A C H E R S      |=====---
                        --------------------------
====>>>> discuss-lfs  Discussion list now really OPEN!!!

A temporary glitch affected our discuss-lfs list this week blocking
many postings that were sent to the list.  These postings have
reached the list and we are now back in *full force!*

Many members shared their personal classroom experiences focusing on the
October 5th broadcast and integration of the LFS activities. Thanks to
Roger Stryker, Chris Rowan, Ginny Dexter, Jake Chaput, Marilyn Wall,
Margaretha Gebhart, AFC Martine, Pam Berger and others for sharing
their input!

Classroom teachers are sharing their excitement about LFS! Many have plans
for upcoming sleep-overs, inclusion of local astronomy clubs, invitations
extended to local guest experts, involvement with local broadcasting
companies. Experienced Internet-using educators like Roger Stryker, Chris
Rowan and Marilyn Wall are reaching out and helping those new to this
medium by sharing expertise.  We have a very organic & rich discussion on
discuss-lfs!  The Star counting activity is about to begin online so ...
Please feel free to join in.  We want all teachers and students to feel
welcome.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

SPANISH TRANSLATION OF LFS WEB SITE/GUIDE

Live From the Stratosphere seeks to include *everyone* in our
project through such efforts as our Spanish translation project....

Did you know that the Teacher's Guide bilingual Spanish translation
version is available on our web site! You will find some of our
web site (including the teacher's guide, diaries, background
information, etc.) translated and ready for use at :

        http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/lfs/espanol/lfs-overviewE.html

More in Spanish Language resources next week...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

We want to include all teachers who want to join us....

PLEASE COPY THIS DISK SERVICE.... a service to help those
with minimal access to the Internet!

If you would like to have access to our online resources, but
have difficulties doing so, or would simply prefer to take
advantage of this useful service, you can now order our online
resources on diskette from:

                B & R Samizdat Express
                P.O. Box 161
                West Roxbury, MA 02132

Diskettes are available in IBM and MAC format (be sure to indicate
your preference) for $10.00 per diskette (this fee includes the
shipping and handling).  You have permission to copy this diskette
for other educators in your district!  At this time one diskette
of materials is available.  As our resources grow, there will be
additional diskettes made available.  B & R Samizdat Express
is run by Richard Seltzer who has his own web site at:

        http://www.tiac.net/users/samizdat

You can reach Richard at this email address if you have other
questions about his service:     seltzer@samizdat.com

CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES

These classroom activities from the Teacher's Guide will help students
actively participate in Program 3: "The Jupiter Misson."

    Planning the Jupiter Mission
    Digitized Data
    Finding Jupiter's Moons
    The Energy Equation

These classroom activities from the Teacher's Guide will get students
ready for Program 4: "Night Flight to the Stars"

    Mapping a Birth Cloud
    Seeing the Invisible
    Whispers from the Ring
    The Case of the Disappearing Rings
    Mapping a Galaxy

                    `/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/

                         Online Collaboration on
                     "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

                    `/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/

Please share your data as soon as possible. We hope to have a summary of
your work ready to be broadcast on October 12th.

                       --------------------------
               ---====| T O    R E G I S T E R   |=====---
                       --------------------------

There is no cost to participate in LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE.
It is funded in part, by the Information Infrastructure and Technology
Applications program of NASA's Office of High Performance Computing and
Communications, the NASA Astrophysics Division, NASA Ames Research Center,
NASA Education, and PBS K-12 Learning Services.  It is also supported, in
part, by the National Science Foundation.

Live From the Stratosphere is a Passport to Knowledge project. The
video programs are a co-production of GEOFF HAINES-STILES PRODUCTIONS
and MARYLAND PUBLIC TELEVISION. "Night Flight to the Stars" is
co-presented by WNET/New York.

To register, receive the printed Teacher's Guide, other NASA materials
on astronomy, an original color poster, the "mini-kit", and to cover postage,
and handling please send $10.00 to:

                      LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE
                            P.O. Box 1502
                     Summit, New Jersey  07902-1502

or call:

                     1-800-626-LIVE (1-800-626-5483)

COME FLY WITH US, COME FLY, COME FLY THE INFORMATION HIGHWAY, INTO THE
STRATOSPHERE... INTO ORBIT, AND INTO THE FUTURE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION!
                .   . .     .  .
            *                                 /|
                  . .  .   .     + .         / /     /
                        .  +  . . .   ______/ /_____| |
                .  .    .    . . -=<((__*@*_  ______|==  NEXT NEWSLETTER
                .       . +.    +  .        \ \     | |  OCTOBER 16TH
LFS Newsletter Editor: Margaret Riel (mriel@weber.ucsd.edu)

Jan Wee, Director of Online Support Services
Moderator of discuss-lfs
Live From the Stratosphere
608-786-2090 (Best times: 8am-noon Central time)
608-786-2767 (after 5pm Central time)

LM_NET Archive Home