I have been in schools who avoided Halloween "celebrations" and understand,
to a point, the reasoning behind it. However, I am in a new (to me) high
school this year, and morale seems so low that I think everyone needs
something to look forward to and talk about. Consequently, I am looking for
FUN! A recent "Stump's" catalog inspired me. Here's what I am planning:

The carpentry class is building me some "gates" to look like the iron gates
in a cemetery. Of course they will be strung with that spider webby stuff.

The sign over the library will read: IHS Author Cemetery.

A life-size cardboard "Grim Reaper" with light up eyes will stand at the
door with a caption that says .."Aren't you just dying for a good book?"

Inside will be a twelve-foot wide, 5-foot high bat hanging from the
ceiling.

Tombstones with names of deceased authors will be scattered around.

The back wall will be adorned with a mural done by our art students on
black paper with white paint -- irons fences, ghosts, etc.

A tape of sound effects will be playing (softly) in the background.

And to top it off I've borrowed a fog machine (from my church!) to add a
little special effects.

What do you think? Now I need suggestions of things to do after we get the
kids in (I mean, besides looking at the great decorations). We are just now
automating and library cards are new this year, so I thought I'd give a
treat to anyone presenting a library card. Do any of you have other
suggestions of things I might do?

The Nat'l Honor Society has agreed to sponsor the "event" with me so I will
have students available every period to work in the library. Your
suggestions are valuable to me, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

*  Fidelis Poncher, LMS      *                                            *
*  ponchef@mail.firn.edu     *                                            *
*  Interlachen High School   *  "It is only with the heart that man can   *
*  Rt. 1, Box 10             *     see rightly. What is essential is      *
*  Interlachen, FL 32148     *          invisible to the eye."            *
*  VOICE: 904-684-2116       *                                            *
*  FAX: 904-684-3929         *                                            *