"Give me 5 minutes more!" was the name of an old song. I use it here
to ask your help in understanding how we best manage electronic
resources. I'm thinking here of CD-ROMs, videodiscs, and other packaged software,
not OPAC (online card catalog) software, online, or Internet access.  Please take
just
5 minutes more to answer these questions by return e-mail, fax, or US
snail mail!

I'd like to have your responses by October 20th at the latest. I will
repost to the list as soon as I have had a chance to tally
everything. Thanks for helping!

Marge Congress
La Sierra High School
4145 La Sierra Avenue
Riverside, CA 92505
margec@pe.net
(909) 351-9340  Fax: (909)351-2144

THESE QUESTIONS RELATE TO CD-ROMs, VIDEODISCS, and PACKAGED SOFTWARE.

. . NOT
OPACs or Internet. . .

1. Apart from your library catalog and word processing, what
software program is used most frequently by students and staff?

1a. What makes this program so popular?

2. Excluding your answer to question #1, what are the 5 next most
frequently used electronic resources?

3. What kinds of topics or curriculum areas are not well represented
in the in the electronic resources that you now have? In other words,
what can't you find with the electronic resources you currently have?

4. What is your biggest gripe about electronic resources used in
school libraries?

5. Who manages the use (or abuse) of software in the library?
---Librarian
---Staff Assistant
---Student
---Other

6. What is your policy on printing from CD-ROM software?
---Unlimited free printing? (Y/N)
---Charge for printing? (Y/N) How much?
---Other options? Please specify

7. If the resource is available both electronically and in print,
which will students choose? Do you know why?
---Electronic? (Y/N)
---Print? (Y/N)

8. Last year, did you buy fewer books in order to keep up with the
cost of software purchases? (Y/N)

 8a. Can you provide any relative budget numbers?
        - Books: 93/94_____             94/95 _________
        - Software 93/94______          94/94 _________

9 What are the funding sources for software purchases?
-- Grants, Categorical, Title VI (Chapter II) etc.
-- Funds from District specific for software
-- Funds from the District optional for software

10. Where Do You Work? Please check all that apply
---Elementary School Library
---Middle School Library
---High School Library
---Other? Please specify
---Public School
---Private School
---Charter School
---Vocational School
---Magnet School
---Other type of school?
---Rural
---Suburban
---Urban

11. Equipment/Other Resources. Please check all that apply
---Use mostly PC-compatible computers
---Use mostly Macintosh computers
---Have a combo of PC and Mac computers
---Use mostly networked products
---Use a combo of networked and standalone products
---Students DO have access to Internet
---Students do NOT have access to Internet

12 Is it OK if I contact you again for further clarification?
---Yes!
---No...don't have time. Sorry.

Thank you for answering these questions! Please return via e-mail,
fax, or US snail mail to: Marge Congress, La Sierra High School, 4145
La Sierra Avenue, Riverside, CA 92505. Internet: margec@pe.net. I will repost
to the list as soon as I can!
Marge Congress              phone (909) 351-9340
La Sierra High School       fax   (909) 351-2144
Riverside, CA 92505
                  margec@pe.net

-- End --
Marge Congress              phone (909) 351-9340
La Sierra High School       fax   (909) 351-2144
Riverside, CA 92505
                  margec@pe.net

LM_NET Archive Home