I have done units on scarecrows for storytimes at my library--an
excellent book that has great pictures of scarecrows and information is
Scarecrow! by Valerie Littlewood.

Other story-type books I've used are Witch Hazel by Alice Schertle, The
Scarebird by Sid Fleishman, Jeb Scarecrow's Pumpkin Patch by Jana Dillon
and Robert San Souci's Feathertop--which is based on the tale by
Nathanial Hawthorne.

My listeners always loved hearing about scarecrows!  We also did action
plays where we would be scarecrows scaring away birds, but bowing to the
farmers.

Have fun!  I love fall and Halloween!
Merry Beth Oliveto
Farmington Branch Library