I've followed this thread all week with great interest.  To briefly recap,
Ms. Moore, the original poster, said that she had a restricted shelf in her
elementary school library with YA novels.  She only permits 6th graders to
check the books out.  Sixth graders who wish to check things out must first
have their parents permission (on a signed form).  A couple of people
responded and observed that this practice violates the Library Bill of
Rights.  One person quoted the applicable text and interpetation.

On Friday, 27 Oct. Ms. Moore wrote:

>>Debbie, thanks for responding with the quote from ALA. I was not familiar
>>with the exact wording but I stand by original decision to restrict
>>access to the "Young Adult" materials to sixth graders who have parental
>>permission.

I empathize with Ms. Moore's decision to stand by her original decision.
 However, I feel compelled to observe that not only does her decision have
professional implications for her library practice as well as intellectual
freedom ramifications, it also raises an educational issue.

What about younger students with reading skills (both comprehension and
interest levels) at or above the level of other books?  Do you in effect say
to a 4th grader who wants to read one of the books: "Although you can read
this stuff I'm not going to let you?"  Does such a practice motivate
students' lifelong reading or does it in fact discourage reading *and* a love
of libraries?

Also, what about students who need the kind access to the kind of material
contained in those books?  YA problem novels help kids immensely.  Not all
kids mature at the same rate.  That's why those books are so popular in
schools--including most elementary schools-- across the nation.

Finally, capitulating to the fear of challenges to such an extent might lead
one to wonder what effect this would have on the library collections in other
schools in your community.  I was previously a high school (grades 9-12)
librarian.  Our library had lots of stuff that was more appropriate for
juniors and seniors than freshmen.  What if a parent had come in whose child
had previously attended your school and said "But I don't want Johnny to pick
that up.  You should put that on a restricted shelf for seniors like that
nice Ms. Moore did with the bad books when Johnny went to her school?"

My point is that practices like this don't just impact the users of one
library...they set a precedent that can be held up as an example for others.
 Please reconsider this decision.

Charles Harmon
Director, Acquisitions & Development
Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc.