I would like to add that this entire topic (gay main characters) would
seem to be a topic we can't escape from - no matter how much I'd like to
try.
Deliver Us From Evie is a wonderful book but I honestly don't have the
courage to put it on the shelf in my high school.  I'm going to give it
to a couple teachers to read and see if we can't share it with students
open to the ideas.
I have to say - I feel like a wimp but homophobia runs high here.  Last
year one of the teachers during a discussion tried to say that
homosexuals were perhaps genetically determined -- there was a HUGE
furor!  If it had not been a "side" topic that she could drop quickly
there would have been a major problem I'm sure.

Look forward to hearing from others.
Sally Norton
Warren High School, Vincent, OH
Appalachia

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Lynda Short wrote:

> Please give me your opinions of this novel, particularly what age/grade level y
> ou would feel comfortable using it with.  Thanks!!
>     Lynda Short
>     The Lexington School
>     Lexington, KY
>     lshort1@ukcc.uky.edu