Last year, Quality Quinn Sharp came to our island to speak to  teachers
and librarians. She was fascinating and had a lot of good ideas. But the
one which applied most to me is exactly what you have been talking about
in the on-going discussion about whether we should make the kids do their
own research or spoon feed them the answer. I was so impressed with
the idea that I had signs made up and put them in the office and the
library where we are constantly reminded:

                A librarian's prime objective
                (in information gathering):
                teach kids what to do when
                they don't know what to do

If we can teach them HOW to find the information they need, their
horizons are expanded infinitessimaly (sp?) We do them no favors by doing
it for them any more than a teacher benefits by doing homework for the kids.
I don't mind working side by side with them as long as it takes
(whenever possible as I have 1100 kids to assist) but I let them guide the
search.

--
Slainte! May today bring a great new story for your repetoire!
T.K.Cassidy, MLIS -- Guam Talebearers; president/cofounder

LM_NET Archive Home