The Scarlet Letter is read by most of our students sometime during the 4
years of high school. I cannot remember which grade level curriculum
(junior, I believe) It is also on the suggested college reading list
given all college bound students. When was the last time Demi was in a
high school or talked to a college professor. I believe most college
students have a passing acquaintance with the book.  Changing the book
ending will take much away from the historical background and truth
depicted in the novel.

Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Andy Fowler wrote:

> In a recent article in the Chicago Tribune, references were made to an
> article in Vanity Fair where Demi Moore is going to portray Hester Pryne
> and she's changing the ending to a happy one.  She justifies her decision
> for the ending 'because no one reads the book anymore anyway' (or words to
> that effect.
>
> My first question is: Is _The Scarlet Letter_ read in your school and how?
> Is it part of the curriculum or suggested reading list or individual
> student choice?
>
> The second question is:  Approx. how many students read it annually?
>
> One of the English teacher in our school is curious.  Perhaps I'll pass the
> response on to Ms. Moore if it's significant.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy Fowler                         PHONE: (708) 529-4500  X382
> Resource Center -- West Campus
> Lake Park High School               a-fowler@dupagels.lib.il.us
> Roselle IL 60172

LM_NET Archive Home